Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What's Up - On my Head?

I came up with another brilliant idea while driving recently. This seems to be where I come up with most of my ideas. Well, sometimes I come up excellent, innovative ideas in bed and know I'll remember them when I get up in the morning - and I do remember that I had a great idea, just not what it was.

I enjoy camping but it seems that by day 2, I look like I should be pushing a shopping cart with my tent in it. By day 3, I look like I rolled in mud and let it dry on my head. I don't understand why my hair does this to me? It's like it's telling me it doesn't like to travel any further than the local Walmart.

Instead of spending time and money on hair products that may still cause people to cross the street when I'm walking toward them, I came up with a brilliant idea - in my car - in case you weren't paying attention.

I would get a wig. My natural hair could protest all it wanted within the confines of a perky little "do" sitting on top of it. Being cost conscious, I started looking for human hair wigs online. I found once called a Mommy wig that looked pretty bad in the picture but the reviews were all glowing. They would say "This wig looks much better in real life than in the online picture. I get lots of compliments when I wear it." That sounded promising to me and for less than $40, including shipping and handling, I decided that this human hair wig sounded perfect for my needs.

I did wonder a little why all of the models wearing the wig were women of color and I questioned if the Janet Collection could possibly have anything to do with Janet Jackson, but it was only for camping, so I proceeded to fill out the order form. There were 2 choices of color, black and an auburn. I decided to go with auburn.

When my package arrived, I noticed that the hair color could better be described as berry red - and berry, berry red in the sunlight. I tried it on and I looked like Conan O'Brien - nice full head of hair, but short and very wavy. The directions said that the curls would loosen if you just sprayed the wig with water. Looking around, I saw no sign of an empty spray bottle - no luck there. I then ran the water in my bathroom sink into my cupped hands and tossed the hand puddle of water on my head. I still had tight curls. Finally I filled a glass with water and poured it on my head while combing my natural hair wig - curls stayed put. If this was indeed a wig made from hair from women of color I started to think that I may not be able to straighten it.

So, I decided to focus on figuring out how to change the hair color to tone it down a bit. Since it's natural hair, it seemed reasonable that hair dye should work. I bought some light brown dye and rubbed it into the wig. My natural hair wig appeared to be water repellent. I still wasn't going to give up on my brilliant idea. I just thought that if I was camping and people saw me go into my camper with medium length brown hair and saw me come out in the morning with a full head of curly, short red hair, it might look a bit odd. And I really hate to look odd.

Not being one to give up on an idea that easily, I knew I had 2 choices. I could either cut, curl and dye my hair - or return the wig.

I just got back from purchasing a home perm kit and vibrant red hair color.

1 comment: