Monday, May 10, 2010

Looking for Older Inspiration

There are many inspirational people around like Lance Armstrong and Michael Dell but as I get older, I need to feel that there is still time for me to excel in something. I needed to find older people who could inspire me. Here's who I've found:

1. Winifred Prestell - Started power lifting at age 60 and at 68 set the world record for her age group by bench pressing 176.2 lbs. I was inspired by her as I was hauling, breathlessly, my 2 cu ft of potting soil from my car to the back yard. I only had to put it down once.

2. Buster Martin - oldest employee at 102 (thanks to poor retirement funds, I think I might beat that record) and oldest marathon runner. I was inspired by him as I decided to walk my dog twice around the block instead of once.

3. Grandma Moses - didn't start painting until she was 76 and only did that because her arthritis made it hard for her to do her embroidery. I was inspired by her when I decided to taking painting lessons within the next 10 years, but I bought my supplies, just in case. I mean, I read about people who had strokes or head injuries and suddenly started speaking a foreign language. I could suddently know how to paint. Stranger things have happened.

4. Ron Cunningham - was the oldest escapologist known for eating light bulbs and removing a straitjacket while hanging upside down with his pants on fire. I was inspired by him when I got my arms stuck in a too tight pull-over shirt. No, my pants weren't on fire but my face was turning red and I was get light headed from too little oxygen getting through the pullover covering my mouth and nose. With determination and Ron's inspiration, I escaped from my shirt.

5. Olive Riley - worlds oldest blogger. She was blogging until she was 107 and then complained of a bad cough; two weeks later she died. I'm not sure I can make it to 107 and still remember where my computer - or mind is - but I'm working on this record.

I thank them all for their inspiration. I'm ready to work on becoming my own inspiration - after my nap.

2 comments:

  1. Watch this week's SNL and you can be extra inspired by just how awesome Betty White is! 88 (and -a-half), and she singlehandedly revived a 35-y.o. show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could write for a comedy show and actually make people laugh without out using the current fart, poop or sex jokes which seem to be the only thing the writers now days thing is funny. You are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete