Monday, April 19, 2010

I Am Edible

As I get older, I worry about what would happen to my dog Seymour if I died alone in my house. Now, I don't mind the fact that I was alone, or that I died necessarily, since we all have to sometime, but I do think about what would happen to Seymour if no one found me for a few days.

I mentioned to my daughter that sometimes I leave my bedroom door ajar so that if I died, Seymour would be able to leave the room and find his food and water. But I don't always do that. Matter of factly my daughter responded, "Don't worry, he'd eat you." Becoming a meal wasn't something that was a concern - before. Now it is. Thanks.

Being pragmatic, I guess it could happen since he would have to survive some way. So, should I bring a big bowl of water into the bedroom each night now? Or should I bring food and water and stave off his animal instincts a bit? But would he choose kibble over fatty protein? Should I eat a lot of garlic each night to make me less tasty - or would he like garlic? Is garlic bad for dogs?

Even during play, Seymour has never even accidentally bit me, so he doesn't know what I taste like. He does lick me a lot. . . could licking be his appetizer? It might just be my imagination, but sometimes I see him looking at me and licking his lips.

Luckily, Seymour is only 7 pounds and not a big eater so even if my daughter didn't come looking for me for a couple of days, I think I would be left mostly intact.

If Seymour died before me, I know I wouldn't eat him, so I can only hope that he would give me the same consideration. Besides, I'm working on being the pack leader and that should have some benefits.

Thanks, dear daughter, for reminding me that I am edible. I needed a new worry. I was running low on them!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, a couple of points. Garlic is, indeed, bad for dogs, so don't overload on it if you're planning to die that night. Also, of course you wouldn't eat Seymour. There's no meat on him. If anything, you might use him as a toothpick. Finally, it's not like we're going to spring for an open-casket viewing for you, so what does it really matter if he eats a little bit of you? I mean, he's a little dog. The most he might partake of is some arm fat, or a bit of thigh, so don't worry too much. :)

    ReplyDelete