Monday, March 8, 2010

Break-up Lines from Pet Lovers

I once had a guy break up with me using 4 words I'll never forget "My cat is missing". Now, we had been out for at least 4 hours but he didn't tell me this until we got into a little argument when we got home.

What could I say? I loved my animals, too. Although I have no doubt that it was true, I also know that he was not good a dealing with issues so this was his avoidance technique. We did date a little longer but it didn't last because I just never knew when his cat would be missing again.

Although this happened a few years ago, I had a recent experience that made me wish I could re-live that night. This is because of something that just happened to my dog. Seymour was having problems with his collar. I tried a nylon collar and then a leather collar but both caused him a skin irritation and he couldn't stop itching. I finally found a little vest that could replace his collar. I just Velcroed it on him, hooked his leash on to the metal loop attached to the vest and away we went. Most of the time I took his vest off when we got home but sometimes I left it on, especially if it was cool in the house.

Coinciding with this information, Seymour has started standing on the stairs and whimpering to get his way. I quickly learned to ignore the whine and when he quieted down, I would ask him if he wanted to go out or was hungry.

So, last night I heard Seymour whimpering and ignored him, especially since he didn't come to the stairs. After about 30 minutes, I went to investigate. I found him under the bed in the guest room. He was wearing his vest and somehow it got partially loose from his body and the Velcro - and he - were stuck to the carpet. After releasing him, I thought about that long ago break-up and re-lived it in my mind.

He said "My cat is missing".
I say in an even more distressed voice "My dog was Velcroed".

I think I would win.

1 comment:

  1. During the next Olympics, you should just velcro him to the couch so he doesn't run and hide from you. That'll teach him.

    ReplyDelete