Monday, March 8, 2010

Anti-Hero Dog

It may sound like I don't like my dog, but I am just resigned to the fact that there will never be a People's Magazine article about Seymour being a hero. How do I know this? Well, I've seen him in various situations and I believe that his "heroic gene" is missing. Now, I love my dog and wouldn't trade him for any other, but I was hoping for at least a little bit of a protection instinct in him. Here's some examples;
1. Whenever there is a loud noise in the house and Seymour is sleeping beside me, he lazily looks at me as if to say "You'd better check on that, someone may be breaking in." He then resumes his nap. No barking, no curiosity, just some eye contact with me. Now, I know he's only 7 pounds but I've seen him try to go after deer as if he is going to catch them and drag them back to his yard, so I know he has it in him - somewhere.
2. I burnt toast the other day and the smoke alarm went off. He took off out the doggie door like there was a bacon sale in the back yard. Never once did he look for me to check if I was safe. I have one of those stickers on my front window that tells firemen that I have a pet so they will save him. I probably need to add, I'm pretty sure the pet will be safe outside, so check for the human.
3. I was watching a sad movie and started crying. Seymour was beside me and I decided to see if he would react to my emotions, maybe try to comfort me. I got a little encouraged when he looked up at me with his cute puppy eyes, but then he jumped off of the couch and proceeded to find another resting spot on the other side of the room. Sorry to have disturbed you, your Highness!

And maybe it's just my imagination but he is extra friendly to all adults we encounter. If a car is parking near where we are walking, he stops and watches them until they get out,and then runs happily toward them. Everyone loves him. It's almost like he's looking for his next owner - someone who doesn't cry, burn toast or is afraid of loud noises. He definitely doesn't want to work for his room and board. But I guess being cute, funny and a great travel companion is as much as he is willing to do - and that's enough for me to want to keep him around - forever.

1 comment: