Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Reasons We Want to Live

You hear people say, when they are in a life-threatening situation, that they often get through it because they think of their kids or spouses and know they have to for them. Having a reason to live sometimes keeps us alive.

I was watching CNN today and one woman from the USA had been trapped in a bank in Haiti for 52 or so hours and they asked her what she was thinking about. She said (in so many words) "I knew my children would be mad at me if I died because my papers are disorganized and they wouldn't be able to figure out anything." Basically she was saying that she was too disorganized to die. I was nodding my head in agreement and understanding as she was talking. That is me!

It's on my "to do" list to get my files in order but I haven't gotten to it yet. I think it's just after "live overseas for 2 years" and "learn Italian". Maybe deep down I think that if I put off organizing my "stuff", I'll live longer. I realize it may be unrealistic but so far, it's working.

Along with that logic, I can't have anyone come to clean my house because it's too messy. And I can't get my car detailed because it's too dirty.

I really appreciated the honesty of that woman's words. There are many reasons that we have for wanting to stay alive - and not leaving until we are organized makes sense. Now I am breathing a sigh of relief knowing it's not just me.

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious. I've heard of people having a pact that whoever dies first goes and cleans out the other's "naughty drawer" or whatever. Maybe we should make a pact to clean out each other's junk drawers.

    ReplyDelete