Friday, July 23, 2010

City Life vs Small Town Living

I talked with a friend of mine tonight. We were trying to find a time we can get together. He lives in the big city - I don't. Our conversation went like this.

Him: "Let's get together soon. I checked our calendar and we can't get together Saturday night because we're going to our friend (the author's) wine tasting party. What about Saturday afternoon?"

Me: "Can't do it - I'm going to a road opening"

Him: (laughing as a big city dude would) "You can't go because you're doing what?

Me: "Going to a road opening. Before they open the road, they're going to have a party with live music and games and things. I've never been to a road opening, so I want to go." What about Sunday evening?

Him: "No, we have an art exhibit we're going to. We were invited by the President of the Art League personally. What about Sunday before noon?

Me: "That won't work. The new grocery store is opening and I want to be there early to get the freebies they'll be handing out and to try out the different foods they'll have out to taste. This is the first new grocery store within 15 miles of my house, so I want to check it out." What about Tuesday evening, after work?

Him: "I'll check but I think we might have to go to the book signing that our author friend will be doing. What about Thursday evening?

Me: "That's $1.50 beer night here and I always go with some friends. I hate to miss that. How about sometime next month?"

Him: "We'll check our calendar. Let's get together soon".

I hated to tell him that next month we have our Duck races, flea market, first run movie at our walk-in outdoor theater, 1/2 price day at the thrift store and rodeo. Small town life may be lacking in some areas but we make up for it in "you're doing what?" events. I sure hope we can find some time to get to the big city.

1 comment:

  1. We also need to try one of the moonlight walks around the square. They do them once a month for Wimberley Fitness! I like our small town life. :)

    ReplyDelete