Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day One of New Diet

1. Get out of bed, totally motivated that this will be a good day to start a diet. I'm not even hungry yet but they say you should never skip breakfast. So I rummage through the kitchen to find something healthy.
2. I find that my breakfast choices are:
a. Grapefruit that is starting to mold
b. Individual Oatmeal packet that appears to have a small hole in it - not sure what could be living inside.
c. Yogurt with an expiration date of July 20007
d. A movie-sized box of Whoppers - partially healthy since I think it's made with malted milk (whatever that is?)
3. Finish my coffee with light soy milk - and my Whoppers and decide I better go to the grocery store for diet-friendly food.
4. Write my grocery list - salad fixings, fruit, chicken, fresh veggies and yogurt - I'm very motivated!
5. Head into the grocery store and have to fight my way through the cute little Girl Scouts holding Girl Scout cookies under my nose. Resist, with pride.
6. Go straight to the fruits and vegges aisle and load up on healthy food items.
7. Pat myself on the back (in my head) and stand 5th person back in the check-out line. To keep myself occupied I check out the magazines and glance at the candy and the one-portion sized cookie bags. Again, no temptation.
8. The grey-haired lady 2 persons in front of me has her groceries all bagged and she is finally digging through her purse looking for her check book. I roll my eyes and they land on the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. I'm feeling strong and in control and practice my deep breathing exercises.
9. Grey-haired woman finds checkbook but there are no checks left so she had to run out to her car to get more checks - well not exactly "run", more like hobble. I close my eyes and inhale so deeply that I start to get lightheaded. When I open my eyes to steady myself, I am looking straight at the RPC - again. Nope, I tell my brain, you don't need chocolate because you are stressed! I resist.
10. Finally, here comes the lady and she borrows a pen to slowly write her check. She doesn't seem to have her driver's license with her so the cashier calls for a manager. I know this is just a test for me to see if I can stand in a candy aisle for 30 minutes with succumbing to temptation. I can do it!
11. Finally grey-haired lady finishes torturing me and leaves - and I still have no chocolate in my cart.
12. The person in front of me unloads her cart - filled with candy, cookies and a Birthday cake. She mentions she is having a party - right!! I've used that excuse before and I discretely admire my healthy cart.
13. I made it through check out - without chocolate or sweets! To say that I'm proud of myself is a major understatement.
14. I am putting my change in my wallet as I walk out the grocery store door - and into a little Girl Scout holding a box of Thin Mints. I feel awful when I see her try to hide the tears as I help her up. I tell her how sorry I am - and purchase 2 boxes of Thin Mints. I really had no choice.
15. I load the groceries into my back seat - and the Thin Mints into my front seat.
16. I decide I was meant to start my diet tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! A day in the life of a Rigby. So true, so true.

    ReplyDelete