Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Internet Dating

It's not easy for an older woman to meet guys - since there are very few left in my age range. May they rest in peace. So, I tried Internet dating for about six months. Unfortunately, it's 2 years later and I still can't figure out how to stop them from taking a monthly fee out of my checking account! I'm doing a one-person picket line and refuse to use the site anymore. But, during my active dating time I learned a few things.

1. Men complain about women putting glamour shots on their profiles, yet the men I met use the best pictures they have ever taken - in their lives! Hey, here's a picture of me water skiing - 20 years ago. "Yes, that's me at college graduation - I always liked that picture". This is a good picture - of when I had hair. Come on guys, at least get a current glamour shot for your profile.

2. Then reading the profile, they put interests that are either things they used to do - 20 years ago, or things they wish they had done. Play sports (baseball in little league), dance (once), hike (from the car to the DQ) or write poetry (there once was a man from Nantucket . . .)

3. Women lie about age and weight but men lie about height. I went out with a guy who said he was 5' 6" - a little on the shorter side but that was OK. We met at a restaurant and he was sitting down when I arrived. We talked a bit during lunch and when we got up to go, he was actually shorter standing up than he was sitting down.

I've come to the conclusion that a dating profile of an older man is just a pre-written obituary. You see their best pictures, interests throughout their lives, number of kids and marital status. I think that dating profiles could put obit writers out of business. Maybe I should start reading the obituaries and see who I wish I had met 5 years before!

Now I have to say, I did have one good experience with Internet dating. One night, I came home late from a trip, tired and grouchy and I had an email from a guy from a dating site. It said "Hi, you're just the kind of person I'm looking for. You can't be the age you say you are, you look at least 10 years younger."

I started getting a little ego lift so I clicked on his profile, which started "I am a legally blind man. . . ."

I know I should have followed up with him, but I was afraid he might bring a large magnifying glass on our first date.

That ended my Internet dating experience - but unfortunately I'm still paying for it!

1 comment:

  1. Funny, funny! I agree with you about the obit comment! So true!

    ReplyDelete