Saturday, October 17, 2009

Farmer's Market May Be Selling Small Dog Meat

Don't worry - I saw no signs of dog meat at the market today. I saw bison, goat and chicken but if my little 4 legged alpha dog doesn't straighten up, he may be on the menu. OK, I'm not totally serious but I'm running out of patience here.

I went to a fabulous farmer's market today. There was such a positive energy flowing with all of the produce, arts and crafts, live music, good food and cool people walking with their well-behaved dogs. My eyes were riveted on each dog - big and small. They all walked quietly with their owners and none even sniffed the ground. They all - owners and dogs - seemed to be in a zen-like state as the walked around slowly, stopping to buy things and putting them in their recycled cotton bags. None of the dogs paid attention to other dogs - or people. It's almost like they were daydreaming. I was jealous.

I didn't have Seymour with me but want to take him. I'm just afraid of his probable bad behavior. Don't get me wrong, I love the little guy and 95% of the time he's great. It's just that the other 5% of the time takes up 95% of my last nerve. He loves people and most little dogs. But get him around deer or any big dog and he becomes a barking, lunging lunatic.

There are 2 varying opinions of him. People who have only seen him with other people - really anything on 2 legs - think he is the best thing since chocolate covered potato chips. But the ones who see him straining on his leash to go after the deer or the large dogs in my neighborhood call him the "beast" and I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be a term of endearment.

I really want to take him to the farmer's market next week but I'm terrified that he will be trying to start a fight with all of the docile animals there. I'm afraid that if I bring him once, I will be asked to never come back and I'm concerned that no one there will take the time to look at the video of him being a sweet dog that I plan to bring with me.

If I take him,these are the only ideas I can come up with:
1. Let him walk around the market with either a blindfold or black-out glasses on.
2. Pay someone else to walk him around the market while I shop on the opposite side. (and I can give them dirty looks, if needed)
3. Bite the bullet and walk him around but say I'm pet-sitting for my daughter.
4. See how much dog burger I can get from a 7 pound chihuahua

Wish me luck - or better yet - wish Seymour luck!

2 comments:

  1. Let me walk him. He'll be (sort of) good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm firmly in the camp that he's the best thing since chocolate covered potato chips. Besides, have you seen Otto around 8:30 at night when he becomes Mr. Grumpster?

    ReplyDelete