Sunday, September 27, 2009

Why My "to Do" List Never Gets Shorter

I was ready to cross one simple thing off of my "To Do" list today - 'Send Birthday Card to Dad'. Easy, hardly worth writing it down - you would think! This is how it went:

1. Look for Dad's birthday card (see more on this on last blog entry) After 30 minutes give up.
2. Go out to buy another birthday card.
3. Stop for a breakfast taco.
4. Come back and decide to include a letter to my Dad in large print so he can read it.
5. Finagle letter to fit on one page - change font and margins a few times - finally get it right.
6. In letter I said I enclosed pictures of my camper so I needed to print pictures.
7. My little photo printer will print directly from my camera memory card, so I went looking for my camera with the memory card.
8. Found the camera and put the memory card into the photo printer.
9. Pressed "print" and blank paper came out.
10. I was out of printer ink and didn't have any more.
11. Decided to print the pictures on my regular printer from my Acer computer since it can upload pictures from that memory card without having to connect to my camera.
12. Went upstairs to find some photo paper for the regular printer.
13. Found a sheet and put it in my printer.
14. Pressed "print" - nothing happened because my Acer had never been set up to connect to my regular printer.
15. Started setting up my regular printer with my Acer but I didn't have a CD with the printer drivers.
16. Went on-line to find the right drivers.
17. Found the drivers and downloaded them.
18. Finally got my Acer set up with the regular printer.
19. It said to print a test page so I pressed print - and there went my photo paper!
20. Went upstairs to find another sheet of photo paper.
21. Put it in my printer and finally got the pictures, although they were all blue in color (good enough because my Dad is color-blind.
22. Went to get my address book. Why wasn't it where it was supposed to be??
23. Finally found address book and wrote address on envelope.
24. Looked for stamps in the desk.
25. Found a baggie full of stamps - all of differing denominations. What was the price of a first class stamp now?
26. Decided to look for my Forever stamps (which I was saving as an inheritance for my kids) so I didn't have to google the current price of a stamp.
27. Finally found 1 Forever stamp.
28. Put letter, pictures and card into envelope.
29. Forgot to include some money I always send.
30. Opened envelope to add money.
31. The envelope wouldn't stick again so started looking for Scotch tape.
32. Took everything out of my desk, but finally found it and re-sealed the envelope.
33. Was too late to put it in my mailbox for the mail person to take.
34. Drove to the post office to mail the card.
35. Picked up some take out dinner.
36. Came home and was going to cross one thing off of my "To Do" list.
37. Couldn't find my "To Do" list.

How do people have time to cross more than one thing off of their "To Do" list each day??

1 comment:

  1. I would offer to hire you a professional organizer, but I remember the time I came over and tried to help organize your old house and you kept digging things out of the trash that I had thrown away. Maybe on your next overseas trip, you'll come home to a slightly more simple desk system. :)

    ReplyDelete