Monday, September 7, 2009

Remember What??

Next year is my high school class reunion. We haven't had one in 20 years so you can imagine (in fact you'll have to imagine since I'm not telling) how long it's been since I thought of opening my high school yearbook. Over the years my children have asked me what I was like in grade school and high school.

I remember grade school pretty well. I remember that I was a doofus - really. I did things like telling my teacher I knew how to do the Irish Jig and actually performing it in front of the whole school. I had no idea what I was doing but that didn't stop me. I also entered a talent show as a pianist - never had a lesson in my life - but I got up and solemnly played "Chop Sticks" (after a bumpy start trying to find the first note). I was a grade school cheer leader and was adamant that the rest of the squad was pointing to the wrong basket when we yelled "go, go, where, where, we want a basket over there". I continued to point to the basket we had been pointing to throughout the game until I was reminded, through gritted teeth by the squad leader, that they change baskets at half-time. You would have thought someone would have told me that a little sooner, like before the whole school thought I was a plant from the other team! So, those things I remember.

When asked about high school, I "remembered" that I was an outsider, didn't have many friends, and was pretty quiet. I did my work, was a member of the drill team, and I wasn't allowed to date until I was 16 - and then I couldn't go on a date in a car! Not a very exciting high school experience as I remembered it.

Then I found my old year book and started reading what people wrote about me. Here are some of the comments:

"To a very sweet and crazy girl I had the pleasure of meeting . . ." (I guess crazy and sweet balance themselves out)

"To the nuttiest and nicest junior I know. . ." (is this a good thing or was I really loony?)

"You're a really cute and sweet girl with a wonderful disposition and a really good sense of humor . . ." (finally I must have been funny in a sweet sort of way)

"To a real crazy little nut I'll always remember. . ." (what's with the 'nut' business?)

"Remember the talks we had walking down the halls. . ." (talks??)

"To a nice but very talkative girl . . ." ('but' talkative?)

"Don't forget the fun we had in . . Choir . . . French . . . Biology. . . History" (I'm starting to remember some giggling)

"Don't forget all the times you got me involved in your little schemes about parties. . ." (OK, some of this is coming back to me)

"Remember when I stayed at your house and your mother chased me around with a fly 'squasher'? . . ." (Why doesn't that surprise me?)

So, it appears that I was a fun, crazy, talkative, scheming nut in high school who had a mother that chased my friends around with a fly "squasher" - not much has changed! It should be an interesting reunion.

3 comments:

  1. High school reunions are such a trip. Can't wait to hear the details. So cute about the Irish Jig though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on earth did you remember yourself as an outsider with no friends? I think you're confusing yourself with Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink. You were more Molly Shannon in Superstar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right, unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete