Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Not a Time to Drive in CA

I just - barely - made it through California this week without getting a speeding, parking or annoyance ticket. The State police were everywhere on I-5. In fact it looked like they might have been trying to save money by holding their annual conference - in their police cars - in the highway median. It was a sea of black and whites with periodic flashing lights just to scare the dickens of the cars on the freeway. A flash of police lights and cars screech to a speed of about 25 mph. I guess if they don't get as many speeders as they'd like they can always get a kick-back from tow truck companies hauling the accident remains away.

I'm sure everyone working for or contracting with California is pretty upset by getting an IOU instead of a paycheck. Can you imagine trying to take your family to McDonalds and when they say "That'll be 12.99" you say "Can you cash my IOU? The State is good for it". Ah huh, and here's your change in recyclable plastic bottles, buddy. This you can exchange for real money.

I thought of a solution to the State's cash problem. If, by bad luck - or actually going really fast, one does get stopped for speeding, they should be given a choice between a ticket (and increased insurance rates) or picking an IOU off of a Sequoya tree. It would be like picking a child's name from a Christmas tree at Kmart but we would be giving adults a much appreciated shot of greenbacks. Not to give the governator any ideas, but since I won't be back in California for at least a month, I would support it.

1 comment:

  1. I like it! Submit that to the Terminator. He could use it!

    ReplyDelete