Monday, March 9, 2009

Travel Alarm Clock and Other "Electronics"

I know I'm not the only one with this problem or hotels wouldn't have alarm clocks AND a wake up service. I have rarely been able to figure out how to set the alarm in a hotel room. (OK, I admit I can't set the alarm in my home, either. I resorted to getting a wind up clock with real hands, but that's another story) If I do figure out the alarm then I can't tell if I'm setting it for the radio, soothing environmental sounds or an alarm to wake me up. If I do figure all of that out, then in the morning I can't figure out how to turn it off. Usually I hit the snooze button thinking it's off and then 15 minutes later I almost jump out of my clothes (not a pretty sight either) when the alarm goes off again. That's when knowing how to unplug it comes in handy.

I don't know why simple clocks have to be so complicated. Just because chips or whatever is in a clock are getting smaller and can do more things does not mean that a clock (that simple object that is meant to show the time and wake you up when you press an alarm set button) should be pimped out to have 2 alarms, sounds to put you to sleep, shine the time on the ceiling, start your coffee in the morning or record your own voice to wake you up. (How weird is that hearing you tell yourself to get up??) Not to brag, but even if I'm not exactly "electronic woman" I do know my way around many plugged in things-really too numerous to mention here.

So, even though I hate to bother them, I usually call the hotel operator for a wake up call. Of course a wake-up call isn't always a simple feat either because some hotels have 2 lines on the phone going into your room. I have no idea why anyone would need 2 phone lines in their hotel room. Would there ever be 2 people in the room who don't own cell phones and both have to make an emergency (read "expensive") call at the same time? Does that necessitate 2 lines?

The problem with 2 lines is that when you get your wake up call, it is invariably on the line that isn't active and you (me) end up stumbling out of bed trying to remember where you are, what that irritating noise could be, and then trying to figure out how to turn it off. It's a great way to make be sure that you're awake but waking up in that manner doesn't make for a happy non-early morning person. Beware, breakfast bar staff, another cranky person is coming your way - be sure the coffee pot is full!

1 comment:

  1. I thought I was the only one that couldn't figure out the clock. I am still trying to find all the clocks in my apartment to change them to daylight savings time. At least my computer and cell phone are able to take care of themselves.

    Keep the funny stuff coming!

    ReplyDelete