Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pronounciation is important

I was sitting in an airport (story of my life) zoning out and people watching while waiting for a flight. There are always different announcements over the loud speakers - gate changes, boarding notices and paging of people. I usually don't pay much attention to the announcements but I heard one page that make me take notice. In a slightly foreign accent, I heard "Moron - - - - Mr Moron, please come to the information desk." Did I hear that right, I wondered? A minute later I heard the same announcement "Moron - - - - Mr Moron, please come to the information desk".

I looked around me to see if anyone else heard the same thing but no one seemed to be paying attention. I also scanned the area to see if a Mr Moron was hurrying to the information booth but didn't notice any exceptionally fast moving men. I thought about the names we are born with. I realize that we all are stuck with names we might not have chosen for ourselves but I was thinking that if that was my last name, I might consider changing it.

A few minutes later, I heard the same announcement but this time the voice enunciated "MorAN, Mr MorAN, please come to the information booth". I looked around and saw some flight attendants laughing as they were walking and I could tell they had also heard the announcements.

I don't know if that announcer was later given some tips on pronouncing names but for a few minutes she made the airport a bit more interesting and brought a smile to my face. I hope that Mr MorAN could smile as well!

1 comment: