Monday, June 21, 2010

Who Trumps What in a Pedestrian Zone

As I was trying to maneuver my way across the parking lot from WalMart to my car recently, I almost got clipped by an old woman with a Handicapped Pass on her car. I'm not sure if she didn't see me - although I think it would be a little difficult to miss a woman in bright yellow pushing a shopping cart - or she knew something that I didn't.

Although I was in the pedestrian walkway and I saw a "Yield" sign facing traffic, this woman acted as if that sign was just another pretty shape that was in her way - as was I. (Not necessarily the pretty shape part, though) So, did her Handicapped Pass trump my "Yield" sign? Someone needs to explain the rules to me. What trumps what?

If a person in an electric wheel chair is chugging down the parking lot toward the pedestrian walkway, do they trump the pedestrian? Are they a pedestrian or a vehicle? Should I bring my cart to a screeching halt and yield to the wheel chair or do I have a free pass in the cross walk?

What if the car with the Handicapped Pass is coming to the pedestrian area and that person in the wheel chair is crossing, who trumps whom?

Who has the right of way if a woman with a baby in her cart is on the road heading to the pedestrian area and I am in my allotted cross walk, who stops? Where do I fit in? Do I ever trump anyone when I am trying to cross the parking lot or do I have to shop after the senior citizens and babies are in bed?

I think the "Yield" sign needs to include further clarification.

"Pedestrians without children and with the ability to walk on their own, cross at your own risk"

No comments:

Post a Comment