Sunday, May 3, 2009

There Are Cool Things About Getting Old-er

We all hear the normal comments about the positive side of getting older like:
1. We no longer give a crap about what people think about us.
2. We can say almost anything and get away with it.
3. At certain ages, we can get senior discounts.

I've noticed a few more interesting changes that seemed to have happened overnight.
1. I've started looking at women who wear knee high stockings rolled down to their shoes as being ingenious and stylish. OK, maybe I'm only at the beginning phase of this one but I did buy a 10 pack of knee highs.
2. I'm beginning to hanker after some cool orthopedic shoes - like Z-coil and MBT
3. I'm starting to admire grey hair (but I'm not quite ready to HAVE grey hair)
4. The brain cells related to remembering people's names are slothing away but I can tell you my phone number from when I was 8 years old. How cool is that?

Fortunately there is a part of my brain that hasn't aged. It's the part that thinks I can dance the night away doing the twist, jitterbug and mashed potatoes - but luckily my muscles - and joints - know better! It's the part that still thinks Johnny Depp is hotter than Michael Douglas even though I'm old enough to be Johnny's - - big sister - OK, mother. It's the part that still wants to try out for The Amazing Race or run a marathon (do they make Z-coil shoes for marathoners?) It's the part that says age doesn't matter when it comes to passion - for anything or any body.

There are cool things about getting older - as long as getting older doesn't mean being old.

1 comment: