Friday, April 17, 2009

Trust Issues with my Dog

I thought I was done with all of the drama of trust issues in relationships. I have gotten to the point in my life where if it appears that someone wants out of a relationship, they just need to get out. Whether it's me or the person I'm with - if there are signs of discontent, I walk. Maybe I've been a little impetuous in the past but I feel that if things aren't working, it's time to move on.

Then I got a dog.

I can't just get rid of my dog because we may not be getting along. And he can't just pack his doggie bowl and drag his bed down the street looking for a better home. We're in it for the long haul.

It's just that I think I'm more forgiving and willing to make it work than he is. For example, when we are taking our walk and he sees another human, he runs toward them like they are his long lost original owner. He crouches down playfully, wagging his tail like he's trying to swat a swarm of flies, nuzzles their hand and looks up at them almost in a pleading manner. And of course they melt. Sometimes I feel that the person looks at me as if they are questioning my dog-parenting abilities since my dog Seymour seems exceptionally happy to see a stranger. Once the stranger passes, Seymour is his old, loving self toward me. Do I get angry, jealous or hurt? Well, maybe a little hurt but I don't say anything.

But if I should go out and happen to pet another dog, Seymour knows! As soon as I come in the door, he is sniffing me all over to find some evidence of my "cheating". Once he has found it, (and he usually does) he looks me in the eyes as if to say "how could you"? To alleviate my guilt, I dutifully head to the frig to get his favorite treat - bacon. All is usually forgiven after a few bites of that special snack.

Now when I go out, Seymour doesn't just sniff me for dog smells, but he gets right up to my face and sniffs my mouth thoroughly for "bacon smells". I often go out to breakfast with friends and I can't help myself - I usually have bacon with my eggs. I try to cover the smell with lots of coffee and even a mint but to no avail; deep in the recesses of my throat there must still be bacon residue that is smellable only by my dog.

I think he is even more upset to detect the bacon than to smell another dog. He has shamed me (just by looking me in the eyes accusingly) so that I have finally taken to dividing the bacon on my plate in a restaurant into 2 piles - one for me and one for Seymour. The only way I can hope to gain forgiveness from him is to come home with bacon in my pocket.

I'm still surprised at what I will go through for my dog that I would have never considered doing in a relationship. I think a lot has to do with the fact that he doesn't talk - he doesn't even bark when he's upset - he just stares at me. There is no arguing with a dog. You just try to make it work.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Susan. I like your dog post. I can relate.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Keep in touch.

    David Crawford
    Occasional Humourist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, is "smellable" a word? If you just made it up, can I borrow it? I think I can work it into one of my comedy bits. I enjoy all your blogs.

    ReplyDelete