Friday, March 2, 2012

I Hate Resealable Food Bags

I know those are strong words, but has anyone ever really been able to open those bags and reseal them? It is not possible. It doesn't matter which food you get in those bags, they all must have been invented by the same drunk inventor - who is related to the head of the big food companies.

I have tried sliced cheese resealable bags, sliced luncheon meats, salad mix and guacamole, and none of those bags reseal. Some make you think they are different because they give you a little groove to help you start opening the bag. But when you tear along that groove, it doesn't even open the bag enough to get to your food, so you still have to find another way to open it. If you aren't at home, and may have bought the food for a relaxing picnic in the park, you have the challenge of how to open the bag without the benefit of sharp tools. I try a plastic knife - no luck. I try the little blade or little scissors that come on a pen knife, if I remember to bring one. As precisely as possible, I cut or tear just above the sealing part and I still can't get to the food.

Finally I just stab the bag below the seal with a plastic fork or pen and pull the meat or cheese out - because I'm getting hungry. Now I have no chance to keep my food fresh by zipping that sucker closed but I have gotten rid of some of my frustration.

Depending on where I am, I can do one of three things. I can find a bigger zip lock bag or a plastic bag to put the food back in and hope it keeps for a few days. I can look for a paper clip or bobby pin to reseal the bag as best I can. Or I can eat the remaining food in the bag and throw away that "convenient" resealable bag. Depending on my hunger, I make my choice.

I think there should be a "truth in advertising" label on these products. "This item will most likely not reseal, so don't count on it. Always have a pair of scissors or knife handy when opening. Do not put the plastic bag over your head."

No comments:

Post a Comment