Tuesday, October 12, 2010

High School Reunion

I went to my ____ high school reunion. I won't say how many years but I will say that most everyone was retired - except a few of us who either enjoyed working or enjoyed money. What surprised me was that people either didn't remember me much or remembered me totally differently than I did. For example, I saw a friend from grade school who said "If someone asked me to say 20 things about what you would be, funny wouldn't be one of them." Geez, I've always cracked myself up.

I can remember honing my craft by doing nightly visits with my good friend to read the various special occasion cards in the "Humor" category in the drugstore. You know the ones that say "I couldn't decide whether to get you a car or a diamond ring for your Birthday - so I got you a card". That was funny back then. Now I wonder who was paid to write something that lame. I'm not saying I didn't buy that card - a few times - but still . . . .

Maybe that is where my love of humor started. Giggling and snorting while reading the cards aloud was one of my teen year pleasures. Soon I wanted to tell my own funny stories. It makes life a lot easier when every bump in the road of life experiences is made into a a hilarious tale.

"Yeah, I went to a conference with 2 different shoes on - and the worst part was that the heels were 2 different heights! I only noticed when I went to the ladies room and wondered why, when I walked, I heard click, shhhh, click, shhhh."

That's a funny story, my grade school friend. And I have more where that came from. I want a re-count.

1 comment: